What is Direct Primary Care?
Direct Primary Care (DPC) is an overall philosophy that aims to form a relationship between you and your physician without having third parties (insurance, government) involved. This is the essence of the primary care we provide at Palmetto Proactive, and it’s why we chose this model.
The Benefits of Direct Primary Care
Direct Primary Care benefits patients by providing substantial savings and a greater degree of access to, and time with, physicians. This model allows our family physicians to care for the whole person while reducing the overhead and negative incentives associated with fee-for-service third-party-payer billing.
How DPC Differs From Concierge Care
It’s important to note direct primary care is different model to concierge care (fee-for-service).
Direct Primary Care
- Monthly membership fees are paid by patients or, sometimes, a patient’s employer
- Patient fees cover extended visits, clinical, lab and consultative services, care coordination, and comprehensive care management
- DPC providers do not accept insurance or participate in government programs, relying solely on patient fees
- Annual patient membership contract with higher fees that can be paid annually or monthly
- Membership fees cover an in-depth physical exam and screenings
- May continue to accept insurance plans and government programs
- Continue to bill patient’s insurance company for covered services in addition to membership fee.